Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 30 January 2022

Twenty Five Minutes Of Mogwai

Inspired by a text conversation with JC (The Vinyl Villain) and also by Khayem's Dubhead blog I thought I'd try this out for Sundays, a half an hour mix (or thereabouts) of songs by one artist- not necessarily their best or most representative, just a few that work well together- starting today with Mogwai. In recent years Mogwai have started adding vocals to some of their songs. In 2017 their Every Country's Sun album was led by Party In The Dark, a beautiful piece of soaring 21st century indie- rock sounding like Joy Division but with Bernard singing. A year later they soundtracked a sci- fi film called Kin. The final song We're Not Done (End Titles) had vocals and then last year's As The Love Continues album had vocals on Ritchie Sacramento, one of 2021's best songs. I thought these three would work well together and added two instrumental Mogwai songs to stretch it out- Rano Pano from 2011's Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will, guitars set to noise and distortion, and then finished it off with the rolling, skyscraping splendour of 2008's The Sun Smells Too Loud, a masterclass in post- rock groove. 

  • Ritchie Sacramento
  • Party In The Dark
  • We're Not Done (End Titles)
  • Rano Pano
  • The Sun Smells Too Loud

Twenty Five Minutes Of Mogwai


4 comments:

Khayem said...

A superb seamless mix, Adam, I really enjoyed it.

jesseblack said...

I have never liked Mogwai, but I love the Bagging Area so I gave this a spin.

I still love the Bagging Area :-D

Swiss Adam said...

Ha ha. Glad you still love the blog.

Echorich said...

I enjoyed that!