Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 3 January 2022

To The Sea And Paris From Above

Two slices of Balearica for today with the promise of sunnier climes and better days, both tracks I would have featured here back in December if things had been different. Both have the ability to transport me somewhere else for the duration they play. First, a Coyote remix of Tonarunur. Tonarunur is from Reykjavik, Iceland, Coyote are from Nottingham. On Paris From Above they find a sweet spot that links those three cities in a laid back, dreamy manner, gently pulsing synths and a heavily echoed voice saying things I can't quite hear. Buy it here


Phil Mison is Cantoma, a doyen of the Cafe del Mar and Balearic scene. I posted To The Sea back in October, a lovely accordion led groove. It's been remixed by Italian duo Here & Now Remix, adding a lazy beat, washes of synth and pushing the topline melody to the fore. The accordion eventually shows up four minutes in and everything drifts towards the finish line. Buy it here

3 comments:

The Swede said...

The sun is bright and the air unseasonably warm as I play these tunes - ideal conditions really. Cantoma by a hair for me.

Khayem said...

Spooky, I posted a Paris-themed selection today. The desire to get away from England is already strong, 3 days into 2022! Hopefully, we'll manage to do it this year.

I have returned regularly to the Tonarunur EP, but the Coyote remix is the pick of the bunch. I love the new remix of To The Sea, which has reminded me that I don't have nearly enough Cantoma music in my life. A visit to Bandcamp beckons...

Swiss Adam said...

Not sure I can pick between them Swede.

Khayem- there's lots of Cantoma's back catalogue worth exploring.