Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 16 August 2015

Granada


I went to the launch event for the St Anthony single on Friday night- it was a ticketed event before you go imagining I'm some kind of mover or shaker. It was held in the old Granada TV studios, Wilson's place of work. After a screening of the video and some brief interview clips Mike Garry performs several of his distinctively Mancunian poems with Joe Duddell and a string quartet, finishing with St Anthony- An Ode To Anthony H Wilson. His poetry is hard edged, honest, human and real and often comes loaded with a punchline, making you both laugh and cry and his delivery is a performance- rapid fire rhymes and sudden stops. The Wilson tribute especially is moving, heartfelt without ever becoming sentimental- much like the man himself. At ten the doors to one of the filming studios opens and the thump of house music begins. Mike Pickering plays what turns out to be a blinding set followed at midnight by Bobby Langley who starts out with the Andrew Weatherall remix of St Anthony, this new version of Your Silent Face booming out with Mike Garry's voice. Manchester vibes are very much in the area.

You can buy the single in a variety of formats here with proceeds to The Christie and their continuing fight against cancer. Do you want to hear the Andrew Weatherall remix? Thought you might...


Mike Garry & Joe Duddell - St Anthony: An Ode to Anthony H Wilson - Andrew Weatherall Remix on MUZU.TV.

16 comments:

Walter said...

It was one of the best detections you gave to me with your post last Monday. Never heard before an like Drew said: once listen to it the song/poem won't leave my brain. Now I've got to buy this brilliant masterpiece. Thank you SA.

Dirk said...

Thanks for that SA, I've just bought the Weatherall remix via the St. Anthony site. A shame though that they don't present the lyrics there (although some guy on youtube writes that they ARE available, but perhaps I'm just too stupid again to find them), because me, as a non-Englishman, I don't fully understand what they refer to, which drives me nuts!

Swiss Adam said...

The lyrics can be found at Mike Garry's blog (God is a Manc), link now in my blog roll to the right.

Anonymous said...

Downloaded. Great, moving tune for a very fine cause.

thewalker said...

Hot Damn, that's got a proper Balearic vibe going on.
Nice one.

Anonymous said...

thanks. purchased.

thewalker said...

Purchased...download version is only the radio mix? RAAAAAAAGE!

Swiss Adam said...

There's a four song dl pack with the full length mix is't there?

thewalker said...

Cheers Adam.
:)
My rage has now abided.
:)

Dirk said...

Thanks very much for the lyrics-link, SA, much appreciated & helpful! They seem to come from the original poem though and the only bit which I still don't get is the line about elephants and dwarves, any chance you can tell me what this bloke exactly says in the video?

Anonymous said...

Wilson presented the local news on TV in the 70s, Granada Reports. There was an item where elephants were washed by dwarves. It was the 1970s where that sort of thing happened
Swiss Adam

Jake Sniper said...

I can only echo all the other comments i've heard about this, it's so good. I'm a Lancastrian and grew up watching Anthony H Wilson till I left to live in Glasgow.

Dirk said...

Thanks, Adam, but what does he say exactly in this line? I always understand "I saw you would elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" ... which doesn't make all too much sense grammatically, right?

Understanding everything of the lyrics apart from this freaking line does me head in!!!

thewalker said...

Dirk,
That's a fuzzy bit for sure. And those lyrics are quite low in the mix, although I think that'll make the song considerably more listenable in the long term. The lyrics will become a nice wash of conciousness.

After a few listens I reckon it is:
"I saw you with elephants, hosing down dwarves on black and white tv."

Dirk said...

Thanks a lot, Walker: what a relief!!!

Swiss Adam said...

TheWalker has the line right- there's a vocal only version to dl at the St Anthony site.