Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 18 August 2015

Restless


While I'm posting stuff from the city that was the capital and centre of the Industrial Revolution this is the new single from New Order, thirty four years after Ceremony (see yesterday's post). Restless is half electronic strings and synths, half acoustic guitars, combining Bernard's world weary sounding verses with a vague sense of euphoria. Are we going to get into the whole 'is it really New Order without Hooky?' debate? The answer, I think, is no. In a way they don't seem to look like New Order anymore. This song is perfectly serviceable 21st century electro-pop and sounds just fine coming out of your speakers. We'll have to wait to see if the album, Music Complete, pushes things forward further- it features guest spots from Iggy Pop, La Roux and Brandon Flowers, which doesn't seem very New Orderish either.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why can't bands just knock it on the head when the thing has run its course? When you've recorded some of the finest popular music known to man there's no need to make serviceable pop.

Anonymous said...

SB is sadly right

drew said...

I'm with the other two above on this, surprise, surprise. And New Order feat guest appearances is wrong.

C said...

I'm just thinking: ok, nothing wrong with the song but it just seems like a pointless exercise!

Anonymous said...

It's a NO no then.
Swiss Adam

Dirk said...

Well, what shall I say: yesterday's tune was marginally better, I would think ... ha ha.

Well, it's not all too bad, let's be honest. But only when you compare it to some crap on the radio, not though when you compare it to their earlier works ... then again I thought the very same when I saw them live the last time, which was in 1987, the True Faith - tour.

Walter said...

It's nothing new but still not bad. Seems like they have the same bass-line all over the years to make a new song. If I don't compare with their earlier output it would be fantastic. But now - I think I've to listen more than twice to have a final result.

Echorich said...

Restless is more than I expected, but much less than I would like. I agree with the comment threads - know when to call it a day or make an effort to enhance your legacy. And the only artists I would expect New Order to Work with would be Denise Johnson or the odd ACR member. How Iggy Pop, or Brandon Flowers fit in I can't imagine. Not sure what to think of La Roux.

drew said...

La Roux only has one decent tune Echorich and that was courtesy of Skream.

Brian said...

Meh, gotta go with the peanut gallery. An awfully long wait for such a minor payoff.