Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 26 April 2016

A State Of Mind


I've flip-flopped around with Primal Scream's RSD cover version of Mantra For A State Of Mind, starting off thinking it just sounds lazy, then liking it more (Jason Pierce's guitar probably making the difference). The original S'Express version (from 1991) is pretty wonderful, discofied and then a housier last few minutes. As Craig at Plain Or Pan pointed out, it isn't a million miles from Don't Fight It, Feel It.

Mantra For A State Of Mind (Club Mix)

And just because I'm kind to you this is the Weatherall remix of Find 'Em, Fool 'Em, Forget 'Em, a loved up, piano and synth driven excursion with heavy breathing and airhorns, also from 1991.

Find 'Em, Fool 'Em, Forget 'Em (The Eighth Hour Mix)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in two minds about the Primal Scream cover too, but it's such a really great choice of what I think is a wholly under-rated and wonderful slab of early 90's house. By the way, whatever became of Mark Moore?

TheRobster said...

Whatever you think of the Scream's version of Mantra..., it's still infinitely better than almost everything on their latest album.

drew said...

I agree with the Robster. I picked up a copy for a tenner on line at the weekend. I think the spaceman's guitar did it for me, an instrumental version would be great

Echorich said...

Robster said it. This blows away Chaosmosis. But then, they really haven't troubled me much since XTRMNTR...

Swiss Adam said...

Chaosmosis seems so lightweght and out of ideas.

Evil Heat had some good moments- 14 years ago.