Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 29 October 2016

I Just Want To Sit Here And Watch You Undress


PJ Harvey turned up at The Vinyl Villain yesterday and I'd been meaning to post this since before my computer went down. I haven't got anything like all of Polly's albums but I'm content to drop in and out and recently played her 2000 album Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea, an album inspired by New York that famously won the always slightly pointless Mercury Prize. This Is Love is my favourite song off it, direct, upfront and confident from the off with a driving Stooges, Heartbreakers guitar riff and that attention grabbing opening couplet. There isn't any doubt evident here, Polly knows exactly what she's feeling and exactly what she wants.

7 comments:

The Swede said...

An astonishing performance really. A true artist.

Anonymous said...

That album is terrific. One of few occasions where the Mercury got it right.
Swc

Charity Chic said...

Played it this week in the car - her best although most of the others are pretty darn good

Artog said...

Off to see her tomorrow, the most I've ever paid for a ticket.

George said...

As SWC said. Great album

George said...

.and she's got a concert in this country soon. But I won't be going.

JC said...

Yup. Hugely impressive.

The Glasgow gig is next Wednesday night and I just can't motivate myself to get along. I've seen PJ a few times and it's always been great, but this time round its an arena-sized venue and I'm not so sure about it.

No doubt the reviews the next day will make me regret it.