Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 16 April 2020

I Don't Know No Shame


Sinead O'Connor's Mandinka arrived in my head at the start of the week, going round and round. It was a very welcome blast from 1987, Sinead's voice up against those beefed up indie- rock guitars and crashing drums. She was going against the grain from the start, signed to a major label and shaving her head when they suggested she wear miniskirts and grow her hair long.

Mandinka

The follow up to 1987's The Lion And The Cobra took her into the mainstream courtesy of the Prince cover that went to number one in every country it was released in and that video. There's lots to love on I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got aside from Nothing Compares 2 U, an album that has contributions from ex- Ant Marco Pironi on guitars, Andy Rourke, Jah Wobble, Kurt Wallinger and Nellee Hooper. The culture clash of I Am Stretched On Your Grave, a 17th century Irish poem over the Funky Drummer. The anger and confession of The Emperor's New Clothes, and what could be her mission statement in the summer of 1990, 'I will live by my own policies/ I will sleep with a clear conscience'. The video for this one is memorable too...



At Glastonbury in 1990 Sinead played on the Saturday afternoon, either just before or just after De La Soul if memory serves, clad in leather biker jacket and a Viz Fat Slags t- shirt and the darkest sunglasses. The Emperor's New Clothes was the one that caught fire that afternoon, crashing guitar chords, the rousing chorus and Marco Pironi's windmilling.


Sinead saw politics as part of what music was for. The song Black Boys On Mopeds was a denunciation of the police and their treatment of young black men, specifically Colin Roach who died of a gunshot wound inside Stoke Newington police station in 1983 and Nicholas Bramble who died in May 1989 being chased by police who assumed the moped he was riding was stolen. It wasn't, it was his. He crashed and died. The culture of policing in London in the 80s was one of stop and search, cover ups, institutional racism, wrongful arrest, police brutality and racial harassment. Sinead opens up pointing the finger at the very top...

'Margaret Thatcher on TV'

Before delivering the sucker punch...

'England's not the mythical land of Madame George and roses
It's the home of police who kill black boys on mopeds'


And this one too....

'These are dangerous days
To say what you feel is to dig your own grave'


This appearance on The Late Show, BBC 2's late night arts and culture show is stunning. Viva Sinead.



6 comments:

Tom W said...

Few months back I wrote something about white guys with dreadlocks and found myself singing it to the tune of Black Boys On Mopeds, but crucially without being able to remember what song the tune was from. Took me about a week and then I listened to the song for a further week because I'd forgotten how fantastic it was.

Nick L said...

I was there at that Glastonbury in 1990 and I can confirm that she was mesmerising that day. A great performance, showcasing what was indeed a great album.

Brian said...

I was a big fan of the Lion and the Cobra. Still have it in the collection, but I haven't pulled it out in years. Will give it a spin.

Echorich said...

Sinéad's debut album was one of the more listenable albums of 1987 - I am probably harder, in retrospect, to the late 80s than I was at the time - and she did pick her collaboators well. Marco Pirroni (Ants), Kevin Mooney (Ants & Wide Boy Awake) and Ali McCordie (Stiff Little Fingers) all appear on it. One of my favorite tracks is Just Call Me Joe which was written by Kevin Mooney. Sinéad has a certain vunerability on this song that closed out the album.

Rol said...

There is so much to admire about Sinead. Her voice is incredible. Her fearless attitude inspirational. Her battle with mental health issues has been hard to watch, but she appears to be on the up again now so I still hope we'll hear something new from her again soon.

Anonymous said...

stunning performance. I was also at her Glasto 1990 performance. Hairs still stand up on my neck..

An inspirational woman