Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 15 April 2020

Lockdown


Jah Wobble is using his time in lockdown in Stockport usefully and has recorded and released a meandering jazz dub tune for your enjoyment.



The pressure to use lockdown purposefully is something I don't think any of us need. There are all sorts of lifestyle gurus and influencers saying we should be making the most of the time, learning a new language or developing cookery skills but for a lot of people, three weeks in and counting and with no end in sight, the ability to get from one day to the next while keeping children or teenagers occupied and on an even keel is more than enough. There's so much time at our disposal but for many of us being able to concentrate for extended periods just isn't happening, we're just skimming and scrolling, browsing, distracting ourselves and taking our minds off things. Maybe that's as much as we can expect. At the front line, in hospitals and care homes, people are dying and the staff are putting themselves in harm's way every day. Avoiding the non- stop news cycle seems to be good for our mental health- the constantly increasing body count and the evasive, slippery rubbish coming out of government, make us anxious and feel out of control. Turning it off is self- defence. I keep seeing the suggestion and the hope that things will change fundamentally in various ways once this is over. I hope so.

5 comments:

The Swede said...

Well said SA. Skimming, scrolling, browsing and distracting myself is as much as I can muster most of the time. I started off feeling that I should use all the time constructively, but now realise that that kind of pressure wasn't helping me at all. Great tune from Mr Wobble.

Nick L said...

Couldn't have put it better, and I enjoyed that tune from the Wob. A little meandering is no bad thing in these times.
We all do what we're able, no-one should be dictating how others spend their time anyway. I'm happy to be doing some daily exercise going walking with my son and then back for some skimming and scrolling. I started off by watching the laughably hopeless govt press briefings every day but have now stopped as they were making me too angry. I now feel much better for it.
Wouldn't it be great to think some positive change will come out of all this...

Swiss Adam said...

Glad I'm not the only one feeling like this.

Echorich said...

Between 5 and 6pm every day we now have a White House press conference which is at times Shakespearean and at other times like a skit from an old Catherine Tate Show. They realized early on here that if Trump spoke while the stock market was still in session, that it would tank. So now we have to endure him before evening dinner. I have taken to muting the tv and just finishing up my day's work.

This is just a wonderful, languid bit of cafe jazz from Jah Wobble. There are still those darkly bent notes which take me right back to 1979.

Swiss Adam said...

Trump's briefings, what we see of them, are bizarre. The shutting down of journalists and random claims. I don't blame you for muting him/them Echorich.