Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 22 August 2014

Rebel Waltz


Yesterday would have been Joe Strummer's 62nd birthday- so, happy birthday Joe.

Rebel Waltz is one of many hidden gems on Sandinista, an album I can still listen to and find something new in it. It's an unusual song, on an album full of unusual songs, being a waltz (5/4 time y'know) over a dub bassline, Strummer's lyrics inspired by a dream. This cover version by Infantry Rockers is from a dub inspired tribute album to Joe and The Clash. Prince Fatty and Horseman were involved in a lot of the songs on it. I don't know if they had anything to do with this one, but it is very good and unusual- a reggae waltz.

Rebel Waltz

I slept and I dreamed of a time long ago
I saw an army of rebels, dancing on air
I dreamed as I slept, I could see the campfires,
A song of the battle, that was born in the flames,
and the rebels were waltzing on air


As the smoke of our hopes rose high from the field
My eyes played tricks through the moon and the trees
I slept as I dreamed I saw the army rise
A voice began to call, stand till you fall
The tune was an old rebel one

No comments: