Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 7 March 2017

Spiked


Since not going to see Julian Cope a couple of weeks ago I pulled out his recent compilation album Trip Advizer, a sixteen track cd that rounds up the best of his work from 1999- 2015. If you only get one Julian Cope cd from this millennium etc. Also, Trip Advizer is the best name for a Cope cd (and strangely when listening to it I can kind of hear parallels with Half Man Half Biscuit- the wordplay, the music, the playing it straight). Anyhow, I don't always agree with the archdrude but I always enjoy him and his songs, and it may be the case that Trip Advizer works best as a dipper (play a few songs from it every now and then rather than an eighty minute one sitting album), but every song on it is a good one. They Were All On Hard Drugs is my favourite, a sweetly sung ode to ancient civilisations and their psychedelic drug practices with a Casio keyboard hissing away underneath but I've posted that before. In Psychedelic Revolution Julian promises to settle some scores tonight and then sings about spiking a range of targets- fat cats, greed-heads, moneybags, fuckers generally.

Psychedelic Revolution

7 comments:

Charity Chic said...

I've nothing after 1996's Interpreter so this sounds like a good place to start

KevM said...

He cancelled the Globe date, Adam, but it's re-scheduled for 20th April at the Tramshed, tickets available.

Trip Advizer got me to check out the full albums,

Rome Wasn't Burned in a Day - Citizen Cain'd - Dark Orgasm - You Gotta Problem With Me - Black Sheep - Psychedelic Revolution - Revolutionary Suicide - Drunken Songs

If you've ever been into him you'll find some great material there. Epics, krautrock, pop, whimsy. It surprised me because I thought he'd never write anything to match the Peggy/Jehovahkill era but I think a good deal of it stands up well.

Swiss Adam said...

I've got a couple of those Kev but not all by any means.

drew said...

Duly ordered SA

JTFL said...

I can see the HMHB connection. Cope's lyrics as far back as 'Quizmaster' always made me smile. Bless my cotton socks!

JC said...

As with Drew....have just gone and ordered this. Thanks for the recommendation.

KevM said...

Oops, Adam. I had you mixed up with The Robster from Bagging Area. Thought you were in Cardiff and had missed the Globe gig.