Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 20 September 2017

The Gate


It seems to me that at some point around the turn of the millennium Bjork lost the sense of fun that characterised her 90s solo work. Debut and Post were informed by dance music and possibility, inventive and arty at the same time, but full of life and with a pop sensibility. She has continued to make art but the artier its become, the more multimedia the packages, the more difficult I've found it to engage with and enjoy. Often very impressive but not always that much fun. Her last album was a traumatic divorce record. I understand why she made it but I haven't played it very often. She's just released a new song called The Gate, the first from a new album, and it is about rebirth, hope, moving forward, a utopia compared the the self described 'hell' of Vulnicura. The video is dazzling, a bit hippy-dippy, but dazzling. The song is over six minutes long and while it never quite leaps forward and takes off like I expected it to the first time I heard it, it sounds a step into the light and part of an album that might be fun to listen to.



And as a reminder of what she gave us back in 1993 here's Come To Me, a song about the giddiness of falling in love and absolute devotion, set to a some softly padding drums, a haze of synths and sounds, and strings that sweep in to set your skin ablaze.

Come To Me

5 comments:

drew said...

I got bored of Bjork quite quickly and didn't buy anything post Post. That avant-garde pish ain't isnae really my bag.

TheRobster said...

Cosmology was the best thing Bjork's ever put out in her solo career IMO. The last album was actually rather dull, and I'm not taken by this new song either. For me, the 'fun' isn't essential, but I do like to get some semblance of a tune in there. Too much of her solo stuff lacks that.

Brian said...

I'll always root for Bjork, but I haven't loved an album in a very long time. This new song leads me to believe the streak will continue.

Zayin said...

She's been hanging with mother Aya...

JC said...

"She has continued to make art but the artier its become, the more multimedia the packages, the more difficult I've found it to engage with and enjoy."

I thought that nailed exactly how I feel about Bjork....until I read Drew's comment! The second sentence is our dear friend to a T.