Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 15 February 2012

I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive


I fell into an internet wormhole the other night, flicking and clicking from one thing to another, from google to Soundcloud to Youtube to google to Bandcamp and various other places in between, and I honestly can't remember where I started but I ended up at C.W. Stoneking.

You should really listen to the song first before you read on. Done that? Good. C.W. Stoneking is a fortysomething Australian who sounds like he was born a poor black man in Mississippi a hundred years ago. He sings, plays banjo and stomps out authentic sounding country blues, accompanied sometimes by New Orleans style horns. His website is here. This is his blistering cover of a Hank Williams song. Reading some of the comments threads at various places there appear to be some differences of opinion about C.W. and his 'authenticity'. Does it matter?

I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive

1 comment:

Adam said...

Hey, great to see some love for C.W. in the music blogosphere. He is certainly authentic and one of a kind. A very talented guy and a real crowd-pleaser. He's come a long way since I had him on my student radio show a dozen or so years ago...