Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 20 September 2012

There's A Weapon That We Must Use

This is not exactly a re-post, more a re-write, as I've posted this song before in two variations and typed these words (or some very similar) before too. I posted Fuxa's cover version of Our Lips Are Sealed recently, as song I get obsessed with every so often. The song, as everyone must know, was co-written by Terry Hall and Jane Wiedlin while their respective bands (him The Specials, her The Go Go's) were on tour together and apparently describes their secret relationship. Both The Go Go's and Fun Boy Three released their own versions, the latter being produced by Talking Heads mainman David Byrne. The two videos are worth a compare and contrast exercise-


The Go Go's video is all summer in California, irresistible it is too...



Fun Boy Three's version is all UK, 80s shades of grey and big hair, altogether darker...




And from the 12" single...

Our Lips Are Sealed (Urdu Version)

1 comment:

Simon said...

One of my all time favourite songs, possibly a top ten ever. I've covered it in every band I've been in and I absolutely love it. I don't think I've heard a version I don't love, although the Go Gos version is my favourite, mostly for those backing vocals in the second half of the song.