Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 18 October 2012

The Seaside Town They Forgot To Close Down


Bagging Area loves The Smiths, from their first recorded note to the end of Strangeways, Here We Come. Except Golden Lights, no likes that. Bagging Area is somewhat choosier about Morrissey's solo career, which has had more ups and downs than a two year old on a trampoline. The first few records were promising- Suedehead was a great 'You can't knock me down' first single, Viva Hate had many good moments (Everyday Is Like Sunday particularly, Late Night Maudlin Street still hits me, a few others as well). The appearance and guitarwork of Vini Reilly and Viva Hate's high points can't be a coincidence. Last Of The International Playboys was a proper, Smithsy single that still sounds great today. After that we parted company me and Moz until a flirtation with Your Arsenal (mainly the ace glam stomp of Glamorous Glue)and then didn't get back together again until his post 2000 rebirth with You Are The Quarry, the better Ringleader Of The Tormentors and then Years Of Refusal. There are individual solo songs I've heard and liked but I don't own any other Morrissey solo lps apart from a best of.

Everyday Is Like Sunday is superb late 80s indie pop. A cracking tune and playing with a great lyric invoking the truly melancholic state of the English seaside town out-of-season. It also echoes Sir John Betjeman with his 'come friendly bombs and fall on Slough' line.

Everyday Is Like Sunday

Betjeman recorded much of his poetry including this, The Licorice Fields Of Pontefract, set to music in fine style. I've been looking for this on 7" for years.

6 comments:

Artog said...

That Bejeman thing isn't how I thought it'd be, was he really involved in setting it to that music do you think?

Last Of The International Playboys is probably my favourite Moz effort. I often sing it in the shower.

Swiss Adam said...

I'll have to look into the Betjeman thing- don't know how it came about. Sure google can provide the answer...

Echorich said...

Gotta be Suedehead for me. Not sure any solo artist with as much of a history as a leader of a band has ever produced such a superior first shot into the solo area.

davyh said...

'Vauxhall And I' is a very, very good Moz solo too, in my humble.

There's an interesting piece about the Betjeman records here

Phil Spector said...

Well. I forego blogging for a week at the expense of painting my kitchen and return with a piece on Vini Reilly. Then I start visiting my favourite blogs and find this. Uncanny!

Swiss Adam said...

Thought that when I read your piece last night. Uncanny I mean. I didn't know you were painting your kitchen.