Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 24 August 2018

We're Not Done


This song from Mogwai came out back in June, from a soundtrack they've done for a sci fi film called Kin. The full soundtrack is out at the end of the month and also features an instrumental called Donuts that came out back in April. We're Not Done (End Title) picks up where last year's superb Party In The Dark left off with hazy vocals, washes of feedback and overdriven guitars and a sense of uplift among the noise and unease. A bit like standing in the hallway between two rooms, one where My Bloody Valentine are on a crappy radio and another where a pop group are playing, a bit indistinct but enough to hear the difference between the verses and chorus. Very nice indeed.

5 comments:

The Swede said...

Your hallway description is spot on. Whenever 'We're Not Done' gets a spin on 6Music and I'm frantically trying to remember who it is, I find myself asking 'Is this an old Ride song?'

Swiss Adam said...

Or Slowdive

Echorich said...

Wait! What? Mogwai have made music I immediately love?! I don't have mull it over? I don't have to read five different reviews to get a grip on what it's about? Well I'll be damned!!
Now before I get piled on, I actually like having to "investigate" some bands music - their motivation, their process, their reception, as part of getting to know the music. Mogwai has ALWAYS been one of those bands.
But We're Not Done is just so right there and ready to enjoy. It's a great track!

C said...

Very nice. Actually just played this - I'm just outside the kitchen - as the washing machine kicked into spin mode and it didn't detract from it one bit!
By the way have meant to say how much I'm enjoying your photos (loved the window pic especially) - have just been a bit neglectful of blogging/commenting lately.

Adam Turner said...

I love it when the white goods complement the music.