Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 11 September 2021

Pond House

The new Saint Etienne song Pond House (released at the end of July ahead of an album called I've Been Trying To Tell You, out yesterday) is a bit of a joy. It opens with sound effects and a lazy 90s drum beat and has a slightly woozy, end- of- the- day feel, gloriously melancholic with a dubby bassline and a Natalie Imbruglia vocal sample. Despite the melancholy and nostalgia trapped within it it manages to leave you feeling better than it found you and that's quite a trick to pull off. 

3 comments:

Nick L said...

Got the album yesterday and I think it might come into the category of "long term grower"...that's not a criticism either. A more song based album is apparently in the pipeline too.

John Medd said...

I'm loving this album; it could well get a podium finish in my end of year roundup...

Echorich said...

I agree with Nick L here - each listen has brought something new to the table. I'm currently fascinated by Penlop.