Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 23 July 2015

Cold Cuts


I was flicking through the random music TV channel again- you can tell I'm off work- and out of nowhere this came on...



Doctorin' The House features some of the more obvious samples you might associate with Coldcut, squashed into a three minute forty five single, with Yazz singing the refrain and doing the dancing. It was in the top ten for four weeks in 1988. To be honest, this single has its charms but I'm a little ambivalent about it.

Whereas their 1995 double cd Journeys By DJ 70 Minutes Of Madness is brilliant- inventive, audacious, witty and fun. And a dancer. It takes in their own Beats And Pieces and mixes in Red Snapper, Junior Reid, Jedi Knights, Depth Charge, the Dr Who theme, Plastikman, Moody Boys, Photek, Masters At Work, Mantronix and dozens more. Turntablism can disappear up its own backside sometimes but this is peerless.






1 comment:

drew said...

Even now when I play the JDJ mix I am astounded by how fresh it still sounds. The pinnacle of the DJ mix for me.