Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 15 July 2015

You Pretend You're High


I was flicking through the music channels on the telly the other day, the free ones that come as standard with our box, and on one of them was an hour's worth of videos from the 1990s of bands fronted by women. This one came up within thirty seconds...



I really like this song. I bought it for Mrs Swiss who loved it when it was released back in 1996. The 7" came in a cloth bag with rubber bits on it and it's still there in the 7" boxes downstairs. The tune is insistent, naggingly catchy, the snarky lyrics raise questions about who the subject is and I always had a soft spot for Shirley Manson. It also makes really effective use of Topper Headon's drums from Train In Vain.

3 comments:

drew said...

L,was a big fan of Gabage and has a few things. the only thing I have The Massive Attack remixes of Milk.

Simon said...

The first two albums are big faves of mine, the band I was in at the time was trying to be the missing link between Saint Etienne and Garbage. Didn't work, but fun trying. 2nd best gig I ever saw, was Garbage at Reading Festival 1996. Shirley was in a white suit, the light show was all pink and very bright white, it was sunset. It was tops. Lovely big noise.

The Swede said...

They were very good indeed at this point.