Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 22 July 2015

Sweetness And Light


There's something about 1990 at the minute- I don't know if it's a twenty five year rule (like the official release of parliamentary records) or that my subconscious is particularly attuned to records that came out in my twentieth year or (most likely) it's just coincidence but I came across the video for this the other night and it sounded brilliant and beautiful. Sweetness And Light was Lush's second single. I bought it on 12" when it came out (October 15th 1990) and I imagine it was Single Of The Week in NME or Melody Maker or both. It's stuffed full of lovely jangly guitars and a great little chord change, shoegaze sheen and Miki Berenyi's whispered singing- today it sounds pretty poppy. The video is a riot of 1990 psychedelic effects.






7 comments:

drew said...

Funnily enough, I have been listening to a lot of stuff from 1990 as well recently. I will be posting a track from that year on Friday and possibly Sunday

Simon said...

Blimey I did love Miki. Never thought Lush quite lived up to their promise though. Good live mind you, I somehow managed to see them live more than once.

But then shoegaze wasn't quite for me. Not enough oomph. Indie for me at this point was still Pixies or Throwing Muses turning into Baggy and dance.

Brian said...

Best song from one of my favorite bands from that era, Adam. So, yes, I'll be featuring this one over at my place in the near future.

Scott said...

Good to hear this again Adam, still sounds really good.

Anonymous said...

Lotta love for Lush. I agree Simon - this is their highlight for me. I'd forgotten they morphed into a Britpop band. She gaze had its moments but it lacked the oomph other stuff had at the same time
Swiss Adam

Echorich said...

Gorgeous. Thanks to Robster reminding us of the beauty of Martin Hannett's production of Quick As Rainbows by Kitchens Of Distinction, I've been listening to a lot of circa 1990 tracks, Sweetness And Light certainly among them!

Simon said...

Quick As Rainbows, god I loved that song. What a tune. I'll have to dig that out. KOD were brilliant.