Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 27 June 2014

My Adidas


                                           A pair of Adidas Kopenhagen (from the much sought after City range)

Today we turn our attention towards footwear. A good outfit starts with the shoes and works its way up. Mr Charity Shop Chic recommended Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoe by Elvis Costello. I was thinking of this, one of hip hop's earliest examples of product placement (and earning Run DMC a lifetime supply as well). Run DMC didn't wear the Kopenhagen pictured above- the shelltoe (or Superstar) were their thing, wide laced. The Kopenhagen and other city trainers were much  more of a UK, terrace culture thing. I don't often wear trainers anymore outside sporting activity but have owned multiple pairs of Adidas in the past. Trainer fetishism is widespread in the north-west. Trainers mind- I have noted a worrying trend developing, people in Britain calling trainers sneakers. Ugh.



If sir or madam requires something else less sportswear oriented for your feet, here's Elvis Costello with his Attractions on Top Of The Pops in 1977.



6 comments:

drew said...

I seem to be the exact opposite of you SA the older I get the more I wear trainers, I know I should act my age. Not your ugly Airmax type things, mind but Adidas mostly, petrol blue and chrome the ones of choice at the moment, But my favourites are my Paul Smith trainers.

Swiss Adam said...

As I typed this I was wearing a pair of Converse Jack Purcell's. But I never count Converse as trainers, they're pumps.

george said...

Red Pullovers one day, denim jackets, red shoes, how long can you keep this nonsense up? No Bishop In a Tutu please, or My Favourite Dress, or Boots are Made for Walking, that's not trying hard enough.

Swiss Adam said...

Nonsense? How can you call this nonsense?

Luca said...

I never wear trainers, sneakers, pumps or whatever you call them.
My (rather obvious) choice is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IBd2ZO7IdU&feature=kp

Echorich said...

I am fully inducted into (using the American term here) sneaker fetishism...in the past 12 months I have added 8 pairs of Puma running/training sneakers - my label du jour - to my collection of over a dozen pairs of Adidas, 5 pairs of K-Swiss, a Converse here or there and New Balance for going to the gym. Sneakers/Trainers say nothing about your age unless you have settled into the all white sneaker/trainer or ones which have velcro straps instead of laces...then you are just too far gone anyway...
Consciousness of fashion is no less important than consciousness of Art, Music or Culture. There's nothing nonsensical about it for me.