Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 13 November 2016

On Hold


I've got more and more out of The Xx as time has gone on. At first I thought they were impressive but easier to admire than to love. That's changed over the years since their debut and its follow up, even more so after Jamie Xx's solo album from last year. News came out on Friday that their third album will be released in January and in advance of it comes a single called On Hold.

The opening section with Romy and Oliver trading lines starts out sounding like an 80s power ballad but stick with it. The synth stabs coming in forty seconds and then the repetitive vocal sample (Hall and Oates) at fifty seconds take it elsewhere, into higher places.



While I'm in the Xx zone this Jamie Xx edit of Sunset off second album Coexist is a wonderful bass and kick drum led thing of beauty. The repeated guitar line building up to Romy's vocal drop is magnificent use of tension and release and the end section is pretty amazing too.




8 comments:

drew said...

Really looking forward to this album. I have missed the xx.

Anonymous said...

Loved this track so much that I pre-ordered the album – they are such a good band.

j

drew said...

One thought, I hope the pressing is better than the recent Jamie xx one which was bloody awful, the triple coloured version anyway.

Swiss Adam said...

The black one was ok but a bit quiet. Oh My Gosh just wouldn't go loud enough.

Echorich said...

Hold On has massive hit written all over it...I must say I felt a bit nostalgia for late career Everything But The Girl when I heard Romy...

Swiss Adam said...

I am now mis-hearing the vocal sample as 'come on Barbie, let's go party'. Which is spoiling it for me.

JC said...

Not for me. It's just updated and modern AOR nonsense.

At least I've been given advance warning.

londonlee said...

Wasn't keen on their second album but this might bring me back. Great record