Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 19 March 2022

Saturday Theme Two

Last Saturday I posted Theme For Great Cities, a moment of genius from Simple Minds in 1981. It occurred to me that I might have a few songs with the word Theme in the title and that it might make a good series for a few weeks. A quick search of my downloads folder revealed multiple Themes and not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth (whatever that means) we'l have some Saturday Themes for the next few weeks at least. 

Today's Saturday Theme is from a year ago from the pioneers of northern bleep techno and ambient The Black Dog. In January 202 they began a series of releases called Dubs, four track EPs inspired by their history in Sheffield. The first referenced Parkhill Flats, Sheffield's tram network, the suburb of Crookes and a northern culinary delicacy. 

Theme For Chip Butty

Theme For Chip Butty was on Dubs: Volume 1 and is a lovely piece of ambient music, four minutes of synth drones with some chanting crowds in the middle. It was released on a very limited vinyl edition of 100 with a hand numbered sleeve and twenty eight page booklet of photographs of Sheffield plus a badge and a postcard. Long since sold out of course. Buy the digital here

4 comments:

Jake Sniper said...

A theme of themes, excellent. You've made stomach rumble and I now crave a chip butty.

Swiss Adam said...

If you want a chip butty Jake you should definitely get one. No point denying yourself something so good.

Jake Sniper said...

I don't think they're much of a thing up here, I could do with a visit to the land of my birth, although a time machine would be needed to go my favourite chippy.

Khayem said...

Great song, Adam, I keep meaning to revisit The Black Dog and there seems to be a ton of stuff on Bandcamp to dive into.

As for chip butties, far too good for just the North. I've been loving them in the South West since the 1970s!