Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 2 July 2010

Half Man Half Biscuit 'It Makes The Room Look Bigger'


I couldn't let yesterday's reference to Half Man Half Biscuit go without another post, especially as last month's With Goth On Our Side has become one of the most downloaded tracks from Bagging Area, which was a bit unexpected. In this song, from a 2003 six track e.p., the Poet Laureate of Birkenhead skewers D.I.Y.-

'I've just finished decorating
It was very irritating
And I know they're gonna come around tonight
And I know they're gonna say to me tonight
It makes the room look bigger'

This being HMHB Nigel Blackwell can toss away a line some songwriters would base an entire album around-

'I'm putting up a hook to hang my hopes upon'

And then follows it with...

'There's a fellow coming round to put the gas back on'

And...

'And if truth be told now that Thelma's gone
It makes the room look bigger'.

After ridiculing home improvement, modern Britain's favourite pastime, there's still time for a conversation with an elderly woman at a bus stop concerning poor bus services, Benny Goodman, three thugs, the nu-metal band Korn and a sub-machine gun.

Half Man Half Biscuit_03_It Makes The Room Look Bigger.mp3

2 comments:

dickvandyke said...

Top work lad, top work.

Swiss Adam said...

Thanks very much DVD