Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 4 July 2010

Orange Juice 'A Sad Lament'


My favourite pair of Levi's jeans are about to die. I'm fussy about jeans so it's a real wrench when they wear out. I've had this pair several years, bought them as dark indigo, the right cut, perfect length, and since then they've faded brilliantly, in all the right places. A while back they started to fray a little around the pockets, but I could live with it. Recently the left knee has thinned, and looking at them now I reckon the next time I kneel down they'll go through. Maybe I should give them a Viking burial, head down to the canal and send them burning on a pallet, floating towards town or Altrincham depending on the wind direction.

This is one of the best tracks from Orange Juice's 1984 e.p. Texas Fever. A sad lament indeed.

05 A Sad Lament.wma

5 comments:

Lilybeth Waldorf - Orange Juice said...

I agree! this is sad indeed enjoyed reading your article mate!

davyh said...

You have my sympathy: I also hate saying goodbye to well-loved items of clothing (I don't have many to start with). Shoes & boots in particular are always at their most comfy just as they fall apart.

(PS: Love 'Texas Fever' - bought it in Paignton Woolworths,of all places).

Swiss Adam said...

Seems very strange now that Woolworths would stock Orange Juice eps somehow.

davyh said...

Doesn't it? Mondo and I were reminiscing a while ago about the fact that Boots used to sell music too - upstairs usually, with the photoframes and the 'prints'.

swiss adam said...

Yeah. Now I think of it Boots used to have all the 7"s laid out on a counter in chart position.