Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 26 October 2010

The Strings Go Eeee Eeee Eeee Eeee


The title's probably the only time I'll compare this record with The Ting Tings Great DJ.

Following the previous post, 27 Forever by A Certain Ratio, here's another dance record where I'm posting a version which is not my favourite mix- possibly not that a good theme for a series I'll admit. Derrick May was one of the Belleville Three, along with Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson, who invented techno or at least the Detroit version of it. Strings Of Life (from 1987) is one of the holy artefacts of dance music, with it's glorious mix of strings, piano and clattering drums. It can lift the lid off a club or a front room, and acquired it's name after May took it to Frankie Knuckles, who played it seven times in a row when dj-ing and then christened it Strings Of Life. This version is obviously mind-alteringly good. To my mind though the best version is the so-called Unreleased Mix which was on the Retro Techno/Detroit Definitive compilation album and does exactly what it says on the tin. I've got it and it's downstairs and I'm a bit lazy at the moment, so I'm posting this version. I know, not good enough service really is it? Imagine what would OFBLOG say.

Strings Of Life (Piano Mix).mp3

4 comments:

drew said...

Essential

Ctelblog said...

OFBLOG is being abolished as part of the Public Bodies Bill. It will be replaced by a voluntary agreement to blog daily and for The Fall and Nick Cave to be banned from posts.

swiss adam said...

A blanket ban on The Fall and Nick Cave will surely wipe out many blogs, and lead to weekly rather than daily blogging- have the coalition thought this through? Still, cuts have to be made, we're all agreed on that...

drew said...

Ctel as we say round here, get yoursel to fuck. No way will I voluntarily or be coerced for that matter into giving up my right to blog about the one true band. Though I could probably live without Nick Cave.