Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 23 April 2011

This Song's Made Up




I heard this earlier today and it took me right back and reminded what a funny little song it is, but stunning with it. I loved James right up until they became the acceptable face of arena rock and then I lost interest and other things came along. I loved Stutter and Stripmine and One Man Clapping, and the 12" of Sit Down (the Lester Piggott version), and then there was the Weatherall remix of Come Home. I had a long sleeved T-shirt with Come on the front (note to self- check this sentence for double-entendre). The last one I bought was Gold Mother and I think that one was alright too. But I especially loved this song- Hymn From A Village- with it's folky guitar parts, clattering drums and Tim Booth's raw vocal. It's one of those songs that I can't adequately describe, you just have to listen to it, and realise how different this sounded to what was going on around them. Wonderful. It was from their stint on Factory Records and has two Factory catalogue numbers- FAC 119 (the 7", James II) and FAC 138 (12", Village Fire e.p.). I know these details are important to some people.

James - Hymn From A Village.mp3#2#2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think Gold Mother's ok too.