Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 26 July 2013

Brighter



If you're reading this then I'm still here.
The aftermath of the recent Blogger purge leaves me feeling a bit uneasy. If they delete me from here I'll be at  baggingarea.wordpress.com where you'll find all the usual rubbish but with a different font and layout.

The Railway Children, Wigan's favourite sons (before Verve popped up in pursuit of knowledge and wisdom through psychedelia and then big anthems in pursuit of fame). They were led by photogenic Gary Newby and signed to Factory in 1986. Their best known single Brighter (FAC 167) was a Factory gem, all jangling guitars and melodic 80s indie charm. Chart success eluded them and they jumped ship to Virgin where chart success still eluded them. The drummer sold Mrs Swiss a Nissan Micra in 1998, at Nissan Wigan. I don't know what's sadder- that the drummer from a former Factory band had become a car salesman or that I was quite impressed by this at the time.

Brighter

9 comments:

Artog said...

Wigan's favourite sons? What about the Tansads?

George said...

I used to teach the girl who's father invented the Curly Wurly.

Swiss Adam said...

Yes Arthog- I forgot about the Tansads.

George- I see your Curly Wurly and raise you Jason Orange's youngest brother.

George said...

well....you know the prince is called George Alexander? That just happens to be my first two names. Coincidence???

Swiss Adam said...

Yes, coincidence.

davyh said...

Really liked 'Reunion Wilderness'.

ally has a Raiway Chikdren story too, if memory serves.

davyh said...

Er..'Children'

Anonymous said...

Gary Newby
His sister Lorraine was absolute knockout

Cynical Farmer said...

My neighbour onced live next-door to the bass player from INXS. They used to rehearse in the garage. What a racket.