Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 6 July 2013

Most Of My Heroes Don't Appear On No Stamps

I've been having a bit of a Public Enemy revival, partly sparked off by Drew's 1988 rap week and the band's appearance at Glastonbury last weekend. I've even got E.T. going around using the phrase 'Don't, don't, don't, don't, don't believe the hype', which pleases me no end.

While the media was looking at all the fuss over at the main stage Chuck D turned in a blinding set of Public Enemy songs, including the evergreen '88 classic...



I keep going back to this, from 1989. Their best moment? Maybe...



I don't know if Elvis was racist but it's a magnificent line- the whole verse is untouchably great. Chuck and I were in agreement for many years about most of our heroes not appearing on no stamps- until the Royal Mail released that series of classic British album covers a few years back, which included London Calling, Power Corruption And Lies and Screamadelica. Damnthe Royal Mail- they took that piece of righteous anger away from me.

Bring The Noise

2 comments:

davyh said...

Makes me want to watch 'Do The Right Thing' again, one for a heat wave weekend in the city.

londonlee said...

Too black, too strong.