Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 10 January 2015

Je Suis Charlie


There's a risk when a music blog starts commenting on events like the ones we've seen in Paris this week that it just becomes trite or banal or blindingly obvious, so I'll keep it brief and try not to pontificate. It does seem to me though that people who kill cartoonists are so utterly morally bankrupt that they've already lost the battle. What major world religion is so weak, so unsure of itself, so insecure, that it cannot withstand a cartoon?

Julian Cope has got no time for murderous fundamentalists.

All Those Blowing-Themselves-Up Motherfuckers (Will Realise When The Minute They Die That They Were Suckers)

5 comments:

The Swede said...

I struggle to find an appropriate response to the appalling events. It seems to me that you got it spot on.

C said...

Well said, SA, and good for Julian too.

I watched that documentary about Dave Allen recently (oh I loved Dave Allen!) and, even though I'm not religious, what seemed particularly resonant in the light of recent events was the freedom with which he was able to ridicule Christianity without reprisal.

Walter said...

Wise words Adam! No one has the right to kill another one in the name of a so called religion.

Echorich said...

I put up a cartoon on my blog I felt summed up much of what I was feeling watching events of Wednesday and the subsequent days. I think that as bloggers, regardless of our choice of topic, we have a duty to stand behind the right to say what we say, comment the way we feel and enjoy the freedom of expression.
Je suis Charlie, indeed!

Scott said...

Couldn't agree more SA, still hard to believe what has just happened in Paris.