Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 6 October 2011

Dentistry


This isn't facebook it's a music blog but still- I got an emergency dentist appointment today. A few weeks ago I lost part of a filling to a chocolate brownie. The only appointment I could get then was for the dentist to confirm I had lost part of a filling and to make an appointment for him to fix it. The nearest appointment was on October 24th. So, unable to get it sorted out for six weeks, I've since been chewing on the right, wincing at hot/cold drinks, swallowing pain killers and dulling it with alcohol. Until last Sunday when it got really bad, with shooting pains round my head and non-stop jaw/gum/toothache. I finally got a proper emergency appointment today where I was drilled, filled, capped, scaled and polished. And told I also had a partially erupted wisdom tooth which had got infected. Much of the pain is now gone, replaced by a different, post -treatment pain, which is better. At least it's different pain.

12 comments:

davyh said...

I have nightmares - literally - about this sort of thing. You have my unending sympathy.

PS: If this is what people talk about on Facebook, I'm glad I'm not on it.

dickvandyke said...

Dentists = Highwaymen, with an instruction to rinse as they fleece your wallet.

Wisdom teeth - they'll come back to bite you. Get rid. Partial eruption today, leads to Vesuvius circa AD79 tomorrow.

Unfortunately, extraction takes 6 men, a JCB and 38 kilos of TNT. (Nurse in white, slightly see-though cotton uniform is usually extra).

Artog said...

Like what DVD says. My dad went to the dentist a few weeks ago, after a look they said one of his teeth needed a crown and a root canal. The price? ONE THOUSAND POUNDS. For one tooth. He went to dental hospital instead. It's like owning healthy teeth is a luxury.

davyh said...

I blame Thatcher

Swiss Adam said...

Thanks chaps. I don't know what facebook is like, cos I'm not on it either.

DVD- some people survived Vesuvius. The ones who got out early.

Artog- my pain cost me £47. NHS dentist in Old Trafford. Paying for pain.

Swiss Adam said...

Thatcher is to blame for most things.

Dirk said...

Just 47 quid, SA??!! Could you get me an appointment at this doctor for November, please: I do think the flight from Germany and back is cheaper than going to a dentist here!! And yes, you might blame Thatcher for that as well ...

btw: I assume this gentleman is a fully licensed medic, right? With an invoice as small as this he might as well be some kind of horse doctor!

Simon said...

I had to have a wisdom tooth removed once, and because it was in the lower jaw was done on local anaesthetic. The dentist kneeling on my chest to get purchase to pull the tooth out, because he had tried cutting it out and it went too deep. Blood everywhere, the dental assistant (pretty girl with nice legs, funny how I remember that)going pale and looking like she would faint. Spitting blood all the way home, but still smoking cigarettes and marvelling at the hole in my lower jaw.

Swiss Adam said...

Simon- your account is pretty much word for word my experience of having a wisdom tooth out about ten years ago. Blood, knee on chest, cigarettes, hole in jaw. Don't recall pretty dental nurse with nice legs. Wish they'd taken this one out at the same time.

Anonymous said...

ah...wizzies... remember knee on chest, the vivid cracking sound as the teeth came away from the jaw, hole in jaw, blood on the pillow next morning. the dentist got suspended a few years later. something sexual my mother implied. but of what sort i never found out

jimdoes said...

this isn't facebook but i like dinosaur jr

in fact they were the first band i stagedived to, back in the day...

Katia Craig said...

That kind of pain is good. You know that it will soon be over, and everything will be back to normal. Well, it's great that you made that emergency dental appointment. Cheers!