Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 28 October 2011

Friday Night Is... Music Hall Night


No rockabilly tonight. For one week only (probably) we are grooving to some music hall. Tomorrow Mrs Swiss is holding a party to celebrate her 40th birthday. She decided she didn't want to hire a room above a pub or the local rugby club and have me play records. Everyone else has done that. She's having an Edwardian tea party in the afternoon, with tea, cake and sandwiches, and period costume. Note, that's period costume not fancy dress. Mrs Swiss has hired a beautiful dress and hat. I am using the splendid chap in the photo as my model and am getting quite attached to the plus fours (hired), though not the golf club. Tedious game golf.

We've bought three cds of music hall which could get quite annoying over the course of the afternoon. In the evening we're going out for a few drinks in Sale. I'm still contemplating whether to keep the plus fours on.

Having cast my eye over the track listing to The Glory Of Music Hall cd, including songs such as She Was Poor But She Was Honest, It's the First Time I've Done That, The Biggest Aspidistra In The World, The Yodelling Goldfish, the Wives Of Commercial Travellers and Nobody Loves A Fairy When She's Forty I've gone for this George Jackley tune.

7 comments:

davyh said...

Has anyone seen me washboard?

Swiss Adam said...

It's behind my plus fours.

Artog said...

That sounds great (the idea, not the music, that's terrible). Did you have enough warning to grow some whiskers? Or are you going to glue some on?

drew said...

I love the title Nobody Loves A Fairy When She's Forty.

If I were to be an Edwardian, I'd probably be an out of work joiner with rickets. Tea to drown your sorrows at being forty is just plain wrong, the only thing that will ease the pain is copious amounts of alcohol.

Swiss Adam said...

Alcohol in the evening Drew, don't you worry. There's a bar at the venue for me, I mean those who want it. She's not that bothered about hitting 40 tbh. Artog- the whiskers are coming but I'd have to have started 3 months ago to get something really impressive.

jimdoes said...

they sound like morrissey songs

have fun old bean (is that what they said?)

Anonymous said...

spiffing