Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 10 October 2011

No Postcard Or Telephone


Jesse Malin first popped up in 2002ish and was much beloved by the UK's music magazines. He had that tousle haired, black leather jacket, Johnny Thunders, New York look down to a T and some songs to back it up. Looking at the back of this album, The Fine Art Of Self Destruction, I can't remember anything about any of the songs listed except this one- Wendy- which I kind of love. There's nothing new or groundbreaking here, but it's got a crunchy guitar riff, a she-done-gone-sodded-off-and-left-me lyric and certain amount of spark. The album was produced by the absurdly overrated Ryan Adams.

1 comment:

drew said...

I love TFAOSD, a very good album and Jesse Malin is one of th best performers I've ever seen live, heart and soul goes into the performance and tells very funny stories about growing up in NY. A few of the best nights I've ever had in King Tut's when he has been playing.