Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 20 November 2014

Just Like Honey



Tonight, six months after paying for the tickets, I'm going to see the Jesus And Mary Chain play live, Psychocandy and related songs, at Manchester Academy. It's twenty-nine years since Jim and William Reid released the album, one of the key albums of underground British 'rock' (rock seems like the wrong word somehow- this isn't rock, it's shattering glass or something similar). I've been looking forward to this and while it can't replicate mid-80s JAMC and I'm not sure I'm that much in favour of bands playing albums in their entirety (just play what you want, or play all the hits)- I love 'em.

9 comments:

drew said...

Hope it lives up to expectations SA. Enjoy,

Dirk said...

Enjoy, enjoy ... I saw them a couple of times when 'Psychocandy' was released and also once when touring for 'Automatic'. Each of the gigs was an unforgettable experience, the first ones being the loudest I have ever attended!

I do hope you will have similar fun tonight!

Scott said...

Hope it's a great night SA. I'm off to see them tomorrow night at Glasgow Barrowland.

Erik Bartlam said...

Enjoy.

Any excuse to hear Just Like Honey is a good one.

Gentle Ben said...

Have a great time! They were awesome last night...

Swiss Adam said...

Thanks chaps. Cover me, I'm going in

Echorich said...

December 1985, my little gang of Asian girls and myself headed down to The Ritz in Union Square to see just what all the fuss was with JAMC. If there was an opening act we missed it or arrived after it on purpose - it's what you did in those days. When the band finally came on, White sheet cutting off the back of the stage, Jim and William Reid and Bobby Gillespie (I'm guessing still on drums) came out with spot lights projecting their shadows in towering fashion behind them not so unlike VU almost 20 years earlier.
Then it hit us a rapid, distorted, shambolic cacophony of brilliance that almost knocked us off our feet. 40 minutes later it was over and we all looked at each other with mouth's agape. One of the most memorable live performances in my music going history.

Echorich said...

I did some research and have decided it had to have been John Moore on drums for that show as Bobby G seems to have made his final departure by October of 85. Always been a real fan of John Moore so that makes the JAMC show even better for me now.

Dirk said...

I can' t get the thought of "my little gang of Asian girls and myself" out of my head, Echo ... then again I'm rather easily aroused anyway at my age ...