Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 30 November 2014

Johnny Favourite



Drew's post on Friday of David Holmes' My Mate Paul put me in mind of his epic debut single (Holmes' not Drew's), Johnny Favourite, a fifteen minute progressive house stomp (done with Sabresmen Jagz Kooner and Gary Burns).

Johnny Favourite is named after a missing singer in the 1987 film Angel Heart. In the film Mickey Rourke plays Harry Angel, a private detective hired by Louis Cypher (geddit), to find the singer. In the Deep South he runs into all kinds of trouble- Robert de Niro peeling hard-boiled eggs, southern horror, the beautiful Lisa Bonet and some very messy voodoo...



I haven't seen Angel Heart for years. I remember it as having atmosphere and tension. I'd like to see if it still stands up. Holmes' track does.

3 comments:

Walter said...

It's a fantastic movie. I remember Mickey Rourke and his phobie against chicken and I've never seen anyone playing Satan better than De Niro. And this track is a belter.

drew said...

You know what they say, it's always a bad ass that makes a girl's heart beat faster.

Hazard said...

It holds up!