Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 20 October 2015

Box Energy

                                                               Untitled 1951, Jackson Pollock

Box Energy by DJ Pierre is one of the foundation stone records of acid house- an 808 drumbeat and Roland TB 303 bassline synthesiser set to mindfuck squiggle mode. Strange to think this sound was invented back in 1987, so long ago now. How much sense this track makes on a Tuesday morning in October I don't know. I like to think that acid house, Chicago style, has something in common with Jackson Pollock's abstract expressionism of the late 1940s and early 1950s. Colours and shapes. Movement. Action. Energy. Certainly those lines of colour were the sort of thing I'd see when I closed my eyes when dancing to this kind of record back in the day. But that could have been the strobes.

Box Energy

3 comments:

Luca said...

For some reason I always associated early house music with brutalist architecture, but that's just my twisted mind. I get your point. SA. Great tune btw.

Echorich said...

It might be overstating things here, but all the best Acid Tracks came out before 1989 and were all released on Trax Chicago. I never had any time for the Brit interpretation of Acid.

Echorich said...

Let me amend my comment...to released on Trax Chicago and DJ International.