Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 3 October 2015

One Of Our Girls Has Gone Missing


I rediscovered this last week, a 1989 single by A.C. Marias. In my 1989 head it somehow sounded like really polished electronic pop but listened to today sounds murkier, less overtly poppy, with a darker, post-punk undertow. The glacial vocal floats over the top of some synths and a clattering rhythm, the lyric recalling a spy thriller or Cold War film. Rowland S Howard and Barry Adamson were involved in the album and I'm assuming played on this single. A.C. Marias was the name for Angela Conway's recordings, who was also a collaborator of Wire (whose Bruce Gilbert helped out with the A.C. Marias records). A welcome blast from the late 80s I'd completely forgotten about.

One Of Our Girls (Has Gone Missing)

2 comments:

Echorich said...

Almost sinister, certainly beautiful!

Jake Sniper said...

One of my favourite singles of the time and still is.