Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 28 November 2015

Let It Roll


Sometimes I find I just want something big, brassy and up front- musically I mean, I'm not after not a Coronation Street matriarch coming round to beat me with a rolling pin. The rolling bass, cowbell and drumbreak of Doug Lazy's 1990 hit Let it Roll are instantly recognisable. Partly inspired by Mantronix this was quickly labelled hip house- and that's exactly what it is. House music's beat and groove with hip hop's clothes and vocals. Doug Lazy was a Washington DC radio dj, got a break in a studio, sampled Marshall Jefferson, MARRS and Big Daddy Kane and went top 30 in the US and then all over Europe. This record was a big favourite in certain clubs up north and while the rapping might sound a little dated but it still has groove in spades.

Let It Roll

No comments: