Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 19 November 2015

You Go Out Every Night As A Single


I got in last night without a clue about what I was going to do for the blog today- nothing at all was coming up, I imagined I'd be sitting drumming my fingers on the keyboard. Out of nowhere this song popped out of my subconscious. Any Love was Massive Attack's first single, self released in 1988. Co-produced by Smith and Mighty it's an absolute belter, a rough and ready cover of a Rufus and Chaka Khan song, driven by a hip hop breakbeat and a stunning vocal from singer Carlton. I didn't hear it until after Blue Lines came out and the first version I heard was on the Hymn Of The Big Wheel e.p. (confusingly titled Massive Attack). The version on there was a remix by Larry Heard and this is the one I always go to  first- slightly smoother with a clubland bass and the vocal pitched down a bit and the tempo up a tad. There's a great, excuse me, juxtaposition in this remix- lyrics that are critical of a single man going out and pulling because 'any love will do' up against the slinky, sexiness of the sound of the song.

Any Love (Larry Heard Mix)

1 comment:

Echorich said...

To use a too oft used expression of a time gone by --- TUNE!