Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 11 January 2016

Freak Out In A Moonage Daydream


We were in Paris at the end of October. At dusk we crossed the road from the Seine, by the bridge with the padlocks (now being removed), towards The Louvre. It had been stupidly warm for late October. The Eiffel Tower was lit up in the distance. We walked up to an arch leading into the courtyard of the Louvre as a busker was hitting some chords. As we walked towards him and the archway we got a fade in effect and as we passed him he hit the chorus of this song...



'Keep your electric eye on me babe
Put your raygun to my head'

I nodded and dropped a coin as we walked past and then as we moved away he faded out...

'Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah'.
Magical.

You could put together a list of ten David Bowie albums and one hundred songs and still be arguing about what to leave out. I'd take his work over that of both The Beatles and The Stones. He inspired many of the people who came after him and who have been featured on this blog. I'd wager most of the people who blog in the blogroll to the right have his albums in their collections. His songs, his look, his art, his influence is almost incomparable in popular music. RIP David Bowie.

7 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Fine words SA

The Swede said...

Planet Earth is Blue.

Brian said...

Well done. You pulled out a nice one.

naguiar2003 said...

Probably the greatest loss in music this century. RIP, Master!

C said...

Beautifully worded SA.

Hazard said...

Most fitting.

Echorich said...

Fine words and images SA. When it comes right down to it, "special" is the word I have been using to describe David Bowie to many of my friends and co-workers today. Special to me personally. Special as forward thinker. Special as a musician and artist. Special as a man.

David Bowie is the foundation for my love of Rock and Roll. Not The Beatles. Not The Stones. I appreciate them and all that came before Bowie, but I didn't need it to appreciate, to admire, to love David Bowie's music.

Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do...