Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 15 January 2016

Them And David Bowie


The crazy, beautiful stream of all things David Bowie related this week has been both wonderful and very sad. The sheer amount of music is one thing, the words and memories another and then there's the pictures. This one of two South London boys enjoying a beer backstage at Shea Stadium popped up. As did this one below...


Big Audio Dynamite in New York in 1987, with Bowie, Peter Frampton, Jimmy Cliff, Dave Stewart (ugh) and Paul Simonon again (Havana 3am supporting B.A.D.) One of the later B.A.D. line ups did a cover of Suffragette City which I thought I had a digital file of but don't. I can't find it anywhere on the internet and can't rip my vinyl right currently either. You'll have to imagine it. The influence of Bowie on the punks is well documented. This picture of a pre-Sid Vicious Simon Ritchie on his way to see Bowie at Earl's Court has been widely shared too...


Bowie was enormous in 1970s Liverpool. Pete Wylie tweeted this week that Liverpool's 70s youth had to reject their city's homegrown music and find something new- and that was Bowie. Wylie's old mucker Ian McCulloch released an album of acoustic songs called Pro Patria Mori in 2013, coupled with Bunnymen songs done live at the Union Chapel. This was Mac's tribute to the Thin White Duke.

Me And David Bowie

And just because a Bowie post isn't complete without some music from the man himself, this is an absolute highlight, his best moment from the 1980s, a soaring, romantic song from a widely panned 1980s film, plucked out of nowhere with a hastily scrambled together bunch of musicians sometime in London in 1986. A favourite of mine (and Simon and Drew's too).


Bowie with Absolute Beginner Patsy Kensit. I had a bit of a thing for her in 1987.

11 comments:

The Swede said...

It'd be ridiculously cool if it were indeed Peter Hammill in the BAD photo, but it's actually Bowie's old school chum, Peter Frampton.
I agree with your thoughts on 'Absolute Beginners'. A perfect pop moment.

Anonymous said...

Well spotted. I meant Frampton. Sack the sub editor.
Swiss Adam

George said...

"I had a bit of a thing for her in 1987" Did she know about this?

Dale Farrington said...

Bowie's "No it's not, son. It's 'orrible." is one of my favourite lines from this film.

I know it was universally slated at the time, but I really like Absolute Beginners.

Unknown said...

Wonderful, wonderful song!!!

Swiss Adam said...

George- I don't think so. She didn't do anything about it if he did

drew said...

She was too busy pestering me. Had to get a restraining order eventually. It was all very sordid.

Swiss Adam said...

That explains it. I was wondering why she never returned my calls.

drew said...

I don't like talking about it.

Echorich said...

Glad to see someone put up McCulloch's Me And David Bowie. It's heartfelt and is certainly the reminiscing of an older man. McCulloch wore his Bowie influences on his sleeve and his lyrics were all the better for it.

Echorich said...

Oh and as much as I enjoy Absolute Beginners, That's Motivation was a stormer of a track and full on Swinging London.