Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 6 January 2016

She Never Understood


As well as running Creation Records Alan McGee had a band called Biff Bang Pow! who sounded about as indie and Creation as it was possible to- jangly 12 or acoustic string guitars, half sung and half whispered vocals, little touches of organ, tinny production, smothered in melancholy and regret. The compilation pictured above has eighteen examples plus that eye catching cover shot and it isn't half bad. Most of the songs are about girls- happy girls, sad girls, girls who never understood, girls who paint or haunt, girls who run the Beat Hotel. A snapshot of a little part of the mid 1980s. 




4 comments:

Brian said...

You chose my favorite! I didn't realize Biff Bang Pow! continued to 1991 until I saw the date on the album cover above. I'll have to dig for the newer stuff.

The Swede said...

Exactly the sound I associate with early Creation. I don't think I ever bought any actual Biff Bang Pow records, but I used to collect those budget Creation samplers and a few of their tunes cropped up on those. Blimey, it takes me back.

Echorich said...

I'm with The Swede, you could always rely on the Creation compilations to include a great Biff Bang Pow! song and this is sadly all I have. Thankfully they do find themselves with some Youtube exposure. Always thought it was great that not only did McGee name his label after his favorite Mod band, but his band after possibly their best song.

Swiss Adam said...

I wrote about those budget samplers recently- they were a great way to catch up and had very few duds.