Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 24 March 2016

Phife


Sad news yesterday with the news that Phife Dawg has died aged just 45. Phife (Malik Taylor) was a founder member of A Tribe Called Quest along with Q-Tip. The freshness of their debut album, along with De La Soul and The Jungle Brothers at the same time, cannot be overstated. So many great tunes contained within. I always loved I Left My Wallet In El Segudo especially the 'I ordered enchiladas and I ate 'em' line for some reason.



The group's second album The Low End Theory was less Daisy Age, a more stripped back hip hop record. They always knew where they stood politically and socially and the wordplay, rhymes, vocal interplay and rhythms on this track are stunning.

Scenario


2 comments:

Walter said...

Sad news indeed. Agree to your words to their first records.

Unknown said...

I am so sad to hear this news. In US at the moment and its surprisingly big news. The tribe rhyming in full pelt is up there with a hendrix solo for me.

Peace go with you phfier