Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 6 March 2016

Splinter Group


One for the Weatherall spotters this morning- one of his label signings rather than his own music. Conemelt were three anarcho-hippie/techno heads from, I think, Tunbridge Wells (of all places) who put out records on Weatherall's Sabres Of Paradise and Emissions labels (and others besides). In the mid 90s the trio plus Weatherall went on a trip to Iceland (the country not the supermarket). Film maker Camille Brooks pointed her Super 8 at them and the otherworldliness of Iceland's landscape and geysers. The footage then sat under a pile of stuff for ten years before she finished it off. A couple of years after that it was offered to Moggieboy, then running the most excellent and much lamented Ripped In Glasgow blog. For some reason the track and film popped up in my mind the other day and a tweet or two to Moggieboy later and the footage was rediscovered. The joys of the internet.

From the original posting at RiG, in Camille's words...

We did have a hoot, the 'Melt was mighty then. I wish everyone could have seen it. That bloke from the Sugarcubes took us to a bar and showed us the internet, I'd never seen it before. A couple of years ago they uprooted the entire bar from Reykjavik and installed it in the Frieze arts fair in London, I drank a gin and tonic in there. One of the most surreal moments in my life..."


Splinter Group from Camille Brooks on Vimeo.

Splinter Group

Splinter Group is a handsome techno track, more melodic than some of Conemelt's more banging stuff, good though that stuff is. Crash Bang Wallop, a 12" on Sabres Of Paradise, was a proper head rattler but I don't seem to have that on the hard drive right now. I do have this one...

Message To All Eels

2 comments:

Echorich said...

I'm going to have the image of horned stones in my head all day!

Swiss Adam said...

Stays with you doesn't it.