Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 10 October 2020

Apricots

 

In March London via Belfast duo Bicep released a new track. Inspired by their globetrotting DJ and gigging exploits it was called Atlas. After the brilliance of their 2017 album and songs like Glue and Aura at first I found Atlas a little underwhelming, a tad too familiar. Since then I've stuck it onto various mix CDs and playlists and it sounds like one of this year's gems...

A rolling beat, distant female backing vox, those euphoric/ heart tugging synthlines, it was made to be played through huge sound systems to fields of young people going nuts at sunset. Instead it has soundtracked the madness of 2020 and the world we're now in, somewhere between the last lockdown, the loosening of the summer (in some parts of the country at least, not so much round here) and whatever is coming next week- another lockdown of some description.

Last week Bicep announced the release of their second album, Isles, early next year and put out another track to complement Atlas. Apricots  has a sharp kick drum, some cavernous space around the percussion and vocal samples borrowed from some traditional Malawian singers and the Bulgarian State Television Female Vocal Choir. I'm sure this kind of trance/ rave is aimed at people younger than me but it's definitely pushing my half century old buttons at the moment.

5 comments:

C said...

I was suprised at how familiar I was with Atlas on playing it here just now - has been getting a lot of daytime airplay on 6Music I think - very good and just so dreamy and Summery. Apricots sounding good to me too. Interesting what you say about the age group music is aimed at, I feel it's all just so mixed up now, and all the music we have been into throughout our five decades plus actually makes us incredibly receptive (or should do, in theory!) The young'uns must love us :-)

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Govg_XmORLE Another good one

Echorich said...

I'm not sure Bicep know how to make a poor track! They seem to be journeying from strength to strength. I have loved Atlas all year, and what do they do but follow it up with possibly the most enigmatic track of the year. It pulls you in, but putting your finger on just what it is about the track that is so magnetic seems to shift and change.

Echorich said...

C - you are so right about how receptive our portion of our generation(s) are to new sounds, trends and musical experiences. I think much of it comes from being of a certain age when Punk and New Wave changed the face and ultimately the body of Rock and Pop Music. Those just a bit older than us seem to be much more boxed into the music they are receptive to. Those a decade or more younger, that missed at least being kids listening to radio in the 80s, are caught up in the resurgence of the Music Biz controling what made the cut and what didn't. It can be mighty gratifying though, when I am on a YouTube page and some 20 or 30 something posts how much they like a band like say, The Bunnymen or The Banshees or The Go-Betweens and then remark they wish they have been born when those artist were at their prime. Similarly, I'm closer to 60 than to 50 now, but I am open to music still teaching me a new trick or two or an young artist capturing my interest because they are doing something singluar with their art.

Swiss Adam said...

C and Echorich- I think you make good points. We grew up with the guitars of the 50s and 60s recycled for the 70s and 80s plus the synths and electronics, the drum machines and everything. That's made us receptive to it all, as C says. I guess what I meant in the post is that the sounds Bicep are making push my/our buttons even if the crowds they play to or are aiming seem to be younger (although I'm sure there are plenty of people in our age range in their audience).