Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 12 October 2013

45 RPM


Tonight I am spinning records at a friends 45th birthday party in Sheffield. His initials are RPM and so the theme of the party became evident to us a few years ago- 45 RPM.

All the guests have been instructed to bring a 7" single with them, which I will play (or not possibly, I have some boundaries and standards after all). I'm bringing some extras from my collection as a) back up and b) to ensure dancing takes place later on. I'm boxing up some 12" singles where there are required tunes that I only have on 12" and hey, we make the rules, we can break them can't we? I may take a 10" or two as well. But mainly it's about 7" 45 rpm singles. What about 12" singles that play at 33 rpm I hear you ask? I don't know. Depends what they are I suppose.

I fear some guests may bring some 'funny' records. There's a balance to be struck between 'fun' and fun. And I'm attempting to take charge of that balance. No I will not play your Barron Knights single- well, maybe later, if there's time * drops Barron Knights single behind radiator*.

It's nice to be getting the gear and records together again after a good time off from this sort of thing. Having missed 33 RPM it gives us a dry run for 78 as well. In the unlikely event that anyone reading this is attending the party, see you there. For no particular reason other than I just found it in my downloads folder, here is Grace Jones.

Pull Up To The Bumper (12" mix)


10 comments:

davyh said...

Hope it swings. I have been asked to do a bit of record playing at a wedding in December. Will be dusting off the old soul.

drew said...

I played a mate's 40th a few years ago and was told to make it an 80s night which I duly did all JAMC, Smiths, House and the Manchester stuff.

I girl came up to me about half way through the night and asked when I was going to play the 80s stuff.

When I told her that that was what I was playing she asked for Duran Duran and that kind of stuff.

I had to tell her that her 80s were different to mine and that I did not possess any Duran Duran

She looked at me rather disgusted nd said "call yourself a dj"

Swiss Adam said...

Inevitably the 80s will feature highly given the age range of the guests. But you're right Drew- my version of the 80s doesn't always match other peoples. The random element tonight is the first hour or two when the guests bring their records and expect them to be played. After that I shall play whatever I like/bring with me. I'm intending to have a short rockabilly section- Hound Dog, Stray Cats, Cramps- and follow a line from Magnificent 7 to Chic to Get Lucky to let's Dance as well as the madchester bit and the 80s bit. Some of the guests will demand a bit of camp too. I have Kylie, pet Shops and Male Stripper for this purpose.

Charity Chic said...

There will be trouble!

Luca said...

Why not some belly techno?

Swiss Adam said...

Belly techno. Very nice. Will do.

Luca said...

My definition, thanks for asking.
- Hard-edged electronic dance music from the late eighties favoured by middle-aged men with too many beers under their belts.
As in:
- Are you going to play some early Derrick May tonight?
- Yeah, that's some proper belly techno. Hope the youngsters'll get that. If they don't, fuck'em.

School on saturday. What it does to me..

Luca said...

Btw the middle-aged man etc.. is me obviously.

drew said...

and me Luca

George said...

I hope there'll be some Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet amd Kajagoogoo. I can see a blog series here: records Adam refused to play....