Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 26 February 2019

Mark Hollis


Sad news yesterday came with the announcement of the death of Mark Hollis aged 64. As the lead songwriter and singer of Talk Talk he made some of the most interesting and experimental pop of the 1980s and he wrote and recorded songs which I hold in high regard. I know some of you feel the same. He had largely retired from music after 1998's solo album, deciding that being a touring musician and a parent weren't compatible, but his music has never gone away, continuing to hold sway beneath the surface. I have loved this song for many years and I will continue to play it and love it for many more to come and while it may be the obvious choice some songs are the obvious choice because they are great songs. Life's What You Make It is wonderful and sage, lead piano from Mark over a brilliant drumbeat and Mark's soaring vocals, a song that you can slot onto any mixtape or into any DJ set.

Life's What You Make It

As an extra Tomorrow Started is from 1984's It's My Life, a sidestep away from New Romantic pop and into something else and something new, with producer Tim Friese-Greene at the controls, poetry and avant-pop.

Tomorrow Started

'Before you play two notes, learn how to play one note And don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it'
Mark Hollis.

5 comments:

C said...

Such sad news to hear last night - lovely tribute SA and perfect choice of songs.

drew said...

Sad news Sa. Not a band I ever sought out but as I said to the Prof, a lot of people whose opinions I highly respect had nothing but good words to say about the band and especially Mark Hollis.


From what I have read the back catalogue is immaculate, no filler or rubbish which is a great tribute to the man.

Swiss Adam said...

You can't go wrong with any of the albums Drew.

Walter said...

Great words to an artist I loved during the last decades. Music from another planet. I will miss him

Echorich said...

For me, another musical hero gone. From the beginning, Mark Hollis new he was taking Talk Talk away from the center and in doing so, offered a musical journey that was simply remarkable. The tandem albums of Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are soaring works of art that treat the silence between the notes with a respect and reverence few have ever managed. He finished what he started with the most intimate and affecting solo album I believe I have ever heard.